Professor I. Gbajabiamila - BSc (Hons)(Lond.), PhD (Lond), MILT (Lond.), C.Biol, M.I.Biol, FLS (UK)
Brief Profile of Professor Ibraheem Gbajabiamila, Vice Chancellor of Crescent University ABEOKUTA
Professor Ibraheem Gbajabiamila was born in Lagos State over six decades ago. He received his Primary and Secondary Education in London. He proceeded to the University of London in 1976 where he obtained his first degree in Microbiology. He remained at the University as a Research Student until he obtained his PhD in Virology in 1984.
He was at the University as a Research Fellow before obtaining his first appointment within the University of London where he worked for over twenty years, rising to the rank of Head of Extra Mural Science. He was later head-hunted to the role of Associate Director in the another London University where he had academic responsibility for academic excellence.
Professor Gbajabiamila was Visiting Professor and was later appointed Deputy Vice Chancellor and Professor of Virology at Crescent University, Abeokuta in 2010/2011.
Professor Gbajabiamila has served on a member of a number of International and Community organisations.
- BSc (Hons.) Microbiology, University of London, 1980.
- PhD (Virology), University of London, 1984
The classic and erudite Professor Gbajabiamila belongs to several professional associations including:
- Member Institute of Learning & Teaching, (MILT) (UK).
- Member of the Forensic Science Society
- Member Institute of Biology (M.I.Biol
- Chartered Biologist (C.Biol)
- Fellow of the Linnaean society (FLS)
His tenure as Vice Chancellor of Crescent University has witnessed numerous achievements including:
- 100% Accreditation of all Crescent University programmes.
- The Crescent graduates making first class at the Nigerian Law School and getting job placements with the BBC,CBN, Nigeria Customs,Nestle Foods...
- The establishment of College of Health Sciences: Nursing, Anatomy & Physiology
- Attracting many scholarship opportunities from organizations and individuals.
- Construction of ultramodern halls of residence to cater for students' population.
Professor Gbajabiamila is a lover of teaching profession which he deliberately inherited from his father and by extension, his grandfather. The popular Ansarud-Deen Society of Nigeria, which gave birth to Ansar-ud-Deen Primary Schools, Colleges and hospitals, started in his family compound on Lagos Island in 1920s with his grandfather and other friends as foundation members.
His love for knowledge transcends the frontiers of his area of specialization which is science, specially, Virology. His interest in and passion for the study of music, musicology, films, theatre and Yoruba culture have earned him a visiting lecturer and facilitator of masterclasses to TAMPAN students at the Department of Mass Communication, Crescent University, Abeokuta.
In his estimation, Yoruba culture and language are "a serious enterprise", which should not be allowed to go into extinction. Professor Gbajabiamila's belief is that if Yoruba culture and language could be widely studied and embraced by Europeans and Americans, why should a son of the soil like him not be so interested.
It is interesting to emphasize that a science scholar such as Professor Gbajabiamila is a proud custodian of an impressive digital library of music and films as he keenly follows the activities of the Yoruba genre.He has cited the philosophy of "Orin Ketekete" by Ebenezer Obey and has analysed the highly cerebral works of Professors Chris Watterman, Karin Barber and David Crystal in language development and decline around the world.
As part of his contributions to the cross-disciplinary research, Professor Gbajabiamila has delivered masterclasses on the following themes:
- Contemporary discourse on the rapid decline in Communication in Yoruba language
- Film Narratives and Projection of Meaning in Yoruba Movies
- Yoruba music, history of Yoruba theatre and need for more professionalism in the Nollywood industry
In recognition of his numerous contributions to knowledge, human capital development and community service, our esteemed Prof. Gbajabiamila has received academic, professional and community awards too numerous to mention here.
Professor Gbajabiamila is a prolific speaker, humble personage, articulate scholar, fluid presenter and academic manager of human and material resources.
A standing ovation for the vice Chancellor.